With nearly twenty-years of design and product experience, David brings an infectious passion for creating cultures and products that make a difference in people's lives.
When David isn‘t working you can typically find him on the hockey rink.
Head of Studio2015–Present
Returned to build a local design studio for Microsoft Silicon Valley. In less than 18 months, grew the studio from zero to a 18-person team of product designers and researchers fully integrated within the local product development teams.
Through the course of growth, the team took on incubation of a range of new mobile-first products. Most notably lead the end-to-end development where we uncovered the initial customer insights, identified a new business opportunity through productization, and ultimately delivered Microsoft 365 Enterprise, a new Microsoft Office solution specifically tailored for the 2-billion strong global Firstline Workforce.
Design Leadership Forum2018–Present
The mission is to advance the practice of design leadership by fostering a community where the world’s best can learn from one another. We strive to make the Forum inclusive and relevant to those confronting the challenges of leading design teams.
Head of Design2014–2015
Founded a satellite design studio in NYC focused on product and cultural innovation. Promoted from Senior Director to Head of Design after significant global restructuring to lead all design efforts at Virgina headquarters.
Managing Director, Design2012–2014
Built and managed creative and operations for one of NYC’s key leaders in technology and design innovation for physical spaces. Founded on the belief that with joining the physical and digital worlds we can help people get the most of the cities around them.
Project highlights include: LinkNYC, New York’s super fast and free WIFI; deploying interactive way-finding kiosks within the NYC Subway System; an Open-Source mobile platform enabling Civic Engagement following the 2014 Election; simulated live ocean views on Royal Caribbean’s latest “Quantum of the Seas” cruise ships; and the complete interactive experience for the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the U.S. Senate in Boston.
Creative Director and product design leader focused on incubating new hardware and software products for the Entertainment & Devices Division – with a emphasis in platforms, big data, and social computing.
General responsibilities include hands-on creative direction of skunk-works projects from concept through execution, managing and mentoring an interdisciplinary team of designers and researchers, and partnering closely with senior executives to structure and support these new products and business groups.
Product incubations include: Xbox One, Cortana, Microsoft Band, and Bing’s Social Search collaboration with Facebook.
Experience Design Lead2006–2009
Product and experience designer in Adobe’s centralized ‘Design SWAT Team’. Lead the complete branding system for the Creative Suite in addition to product design for Flash, Fireworks, Adobe’s Video Platform.
Key partner in expanding Method’s offerings from a traditional brand studio to a product-centric experience agency. By working directly with cross-discipline team members, partner agencies, and client teams I was able to able to help bridge the digital experience gap to develop technically strategic, highly engaging, and successful media-centric pieces for our clients including: Comcast, HP, Microsoft, Showtime and Yahoo!.
Wayshowing > Wayfinding
MTA Kiosk Feature
Adobe 99u Interview
Dave Nelson: On Making Design Front and Center at Microsoft
Inside Design: Microsoft
How To Build The Digital Subway Map Of The Future
Bing Reinvents Social Search and Discovery
- InVision Design+, San Francisco
- Belfius Bank, San Francisco
- Microsoft OneWeek Judge, Mountain View
- Microsoft Design Day, Redmond
- XXUX, Mountain View
- Women @Microsoft, Mountain View
- Microsoft MOXI, Redmond
- WebGuild, Palo Alto
- WebBuilder, Las Vegas
- Adobe MAX, Chicago
- The School of the Art Institute, Chicago
- Macromedia Developer Center, San Francisco
- ScionF8 Contest, San Francisco
- Macromedia Consumer Advisory Board, San Francisco
- Firenze Innovation Competition, Redmond
- Interaction16: Best in Category – Connecting, Edward M. Kennedy Institute
- Core 77 Design Awards 2016, Edward M. Kennedy Institute
- Intelligent Transportation Society of New York: Project of the Year, MTA On-the-Go Kiosks
- Pixel Awards: TV, Fancast.com
- Pixel Awards: Best in Show Finalist, Fancast.com
- Web Visionary Awards: Video/Motion, Fancast.com
- FWA Award, Winterfresh Network
- AliYInteractive Media, XM Radio Testdrive
- FWA Award, Pioneer Car
- Comm Arts Site of the Week, LeapFrog.com
- FlashForward FlashFilmFestival SF, Video Finalist
- Websociety BrazilNetFestival2002, Digital Photography Finalist
- Born Magazine – Art & Literature Exhibition, Guest Designer
- FlashForward FlashFilmFestival NYC, Video Finalist
- SADI International Design Contest, Silver Award for Navigation
- Undo Capability for Remotely Submitted User-Authored Content
- Social Network Interaction Facilitation from Search Results Interface
- Social Network Aware Search Results with Supplimental Information Presentation
- Methods and Systems for Streaming and Presenting Digital Media Data